This video from Aljazeera explains the origins of Algebra and how important it is for us today.
When you’ve watched the video try these questions.
Here is a complete lesson with 18 activities and some exam questions at the end to see if you have understood.
Drag the numbers to the right place in the Venn Diagram. If the number is in both sets, make sure to place it in the intersection, where the sets overlap. If the number is not in either set, place it in the box at the bottom.
Drag each statement to the correct box.
This activity is based on an original idea in “Thinking Through Mathematics. Strategies for Teaching and Learning. Maths4Life”, published by the National Research and Development Centre.
How to multiply brackets
Here is the solution.
The solution to the “How many triangles?” puzzle.
A letter to the Sheffield Star
As someone who teaches maths for a living it saddens me when I see mathematical errors in your paper.
In a letter about Council Tax increases (21.2.18) Ron Sanderson claimed that last year’s 5.99% rise combined with this year’s 4.99% rise made a total increase of 10.98%. He has added the percentages, ignoring the fact that this year’s increase is 4.99% more than the new total for last year.
For every 100p you paid in Council Tax in 2016, you paid 100 x 1.0599 in 2017.
In 2018 you will pay 100 x 1.0599 x 1.0499 which equals 111.28p or an increase of 11.28%
Understanding percentages is vital when working out things like Council Tax rises, pay claims, credit agreements or interest earnt on investments. People who don’t understand percentages and APR’s are much more likely to be ripped off. If you need help with maths visit my website at www.mathswithgraham.org.uk where you will find free activities, some with a Sheffield theme such as the Sheaf Valley Maths Trail, to help people of all levels, from the very basic up to Higher GCSE.
Maths with Graham
The Sheaf Valley Maths Trail is a short walk starting outside Sheffield City College on Granville Road, along the footpath to Sheffield Station and the steel blade sculpture, behind the station to the steel steps and the amphitheatre, up the hill to the Cholera Monument and then back to college via Clay Wood. Along the way you will answer questions on many different aspects of mathematics. It is suitable for school groups, college students studying Functional Skills, home schoolers and their parents or anyone who would like to have a go!
Download the student booklet here. It is best printed as a booklet.
Topics touched on on the trail include
Reading a timetable
Calculating journey cost
Speed Distance Time calculations
Shape and Space
Estimating length and weight
Symmetry (Line and Rotational)
3 dimensional shape
Volume of a cuboid
Area of irregular shapes
Feel free to adapt the trail by missing out some questions and adding others to make it suitable for your students/pupils.
Split your group into teams of 3 or 4 people. Make sure less able students are paired with more able students. Each team will need a DIY tape measure, a large ball of string, a large protractor, a pencil and a calculator. You need to work out the logistics of ensuring there is someone to help at the various stopping points.
Tell your students to stay together, look after each other and take extra care when crossing roads. If this is a school/college outing you will need to fill in a risk assessment.
An informative video highlighting the importance of checking your calculations by estimation.
Challenge your friends to this Kahoot!
Go to this link on a computer, then log in with your phones or tablets at kahoot.it